Uuuuuuugh....
That's about what this entire family is saying, the past few days. Gabby, the little over-achiever, was the first to come down with whatever it is we've got, then Zoe, not to be outdone, followed right behind. Sniffling, sneezing, sore throat, runny nose, achiness, the whole 9 yards. I started catching it, but I'm doing my best to fend it off with silver, which is helping, thankfully. It's at least keeping me functional, which is good because Erich got hit hard and he's been catatonic most of the day. The twins have the sniffles, but that's thankfully the extent of it so far.
In the meantime, we have an addition to the family. The other day, I was sitting in the living room minding my own business when a flicker of movement caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and what do I behold but a tiny white mouse trundling along the floor by the wall! After the initial shock of A) finding a MOUSE inside my house and B) it being white, therefore clearly not wild (so where on earth did it come from and how did it end up in MY house??), I gathered up my wit, 2 pieces of paper and a plastic bin. Armed with these weapons, I sallied forth to do battle. The mouse zigged, I zagged. It tried to run up the paper and bounced off my hand. It ran behind the swing and cowered behind the carseat sitting in the corner. (Meanwhile, Sophie, in the swing, was staring in bemusement at her mama bobbing and weaving all over the place.) I finally cornered the little rodent and forced her inside the bin. She was pretty slow, leading me to believe that she is either A) sick, B) ancient, C) tame, and D) all of the above. However, a few grains of rice later, she perked up and started cleaning herself. It's now been four days - she is firmly ensconced in her plastic bin, where she's made herself a nice little nest out of shredded paper and shavings, and she is quite tame; she sits in my hand quietly when I clean her cage. She rejoices in the unlikely name Seelix, and the girls are entranced by her. We think that she was dumped by the recently evicted tenants next door. Being domesticated, the poor little thing couldn't made a go out of it out in the wild - honestly, it's impressive she made it inside our house unscathed, since there are umpteen cats that hang around our doors, hoping for handouts. (The fact that I put out scraps occasionally has nothing to do with that, I'm sure.)
And now for something completely different:
In the meantime, we have an addition to the family. The other day, I was sitting in the living room minding my own business when a flicker of movement caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and what do I behold but a tiny white mouse trundling along the floor by the wall! After the initial shock of A) finding a MOUSE inside my house and B) it being white, therefore clearly not wild (so where on earth did it come from and how did it end up in MY house??), I gathered up my wit, 2 pieces of paper and a plastic bin. Armed with these weapons, I sallied forth to do battle. The mouse zigged, I zagged. It tried to run up the paper and bounced off my hand. It ran behind the swing and cowered behind the carseat sitting in the corner. (Meanwhile, Sophie, in the swing, was staring in bemusement at her mama bobbing and weaving all over the place.) I finally cornered the little rodent and forced her inside the bin. She was pretty slow, leading me to believe that she is either A) sick, B) ancient, C) tame, and D) all of the above. However, a few grains of rice later, she perked up and started cleaning herself. It's now been four days - she is firmly ensconced in her plastic bin, where she's made herself a nice little nest out of shredded paper and shavings, and she is quite tame; she sits in my hand quietly when I clean her cage. She rejoices in the unlikely name Seelix, and the girls are entranced by her. We think that she was dumped by the recently evicted tenants next door. Being domesticated, the poor little thing couldn't made a go out of it out in the wild - honestly, it's impressive she made it inside our house unscathed, since there are umpteen cats that hang around our doors, hoping for handouts. (The fact that I put out scraps occasionally has nothing to do with that, I'm sure.)
And now for something completely different:

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home