Ride - 4/20/10
I've owned horses on and off for about 14 years. In that time, I've had several very special horses, Amiga, Starbuck and Freska, most notably. Starbuck and Amiga were my riding buddies, my best friends, and they always seemed to be as happy to see me as I was to see them.
But I have never in my life had a horse canter to me of his own volition when he heard me call his name.
Until today.
I went out in the pasture, resigned to a long walk because Captain was at the far end of the field, waaay down there. But I called his name, his head popped up, and before I could even get past the mud at the entrance to his pasture, he was RUNNING towards me at a smooth lope.
I was flabbergasted. I've had horses amble towards me. I've had horses run from me. I've never in my life had a horse that was so happy to see me that he RAN to meet me.
That would have been great enough right there, but then I brought him out, put the saddle on (we're still using the one that doesn't fit, poor boy, 'cuz the other one's not here yet), and I tried him in the bitted bridle this time. He's been acting a bit hot with the sidepull lately, so I wanted to see what kind of control I'd get from the french-link snaffle.
He responded very well to it! He was still hot, still asking to trot all the time, but he was very easily controlled and he actually seemed happier to have me in slightly better control. I don't know if it's related to the bit or not, but today was the first time we rode all the way around the park on our own. We've started to several times and each time he got spooky and silly and wanted to turn back, so I didn't push him. But this time I let him choose the direction and he strode out freely, ears pricked, head raised, looking around with interest but not at all worried.
Oh, and I got on again with absolutely no help, which was GREAT. I lined him up, he stood still, I slid on and he didn't move. He's really helping with that silly fear of mounting thing I've got going on.
It's been raining a lot and his allergies had him wheezing after a little while, so we didn't ride long. But he was alert and happy the whole time, doing his fun little jogtrot that's so smooth and easy to sit whenever I'd give him some rein, and very responsive to me the whole time.
I'm not doing a lot of heavy riding right now. I'm concentrating on getting us both into better shape before I step up into more intensive work. But it was a very fun ride, and I was glowing when I slid out of the saddle.
But I have never in my life had a horse canter to me of his own volition when he heard me call his name.
Until today.
I went out in the pasture, resigned to a long walk because Captain was at the far end of the field, waaay down there. But I called his name, his head popped up, and before I could even get past the mud at the entrance to his pasture, he was RUNNING towards me at a smooth lope.
I was flabbergasted. I've had horses amble towards me. I've had horses run from me. I've never in my life had a horse that was so happy to see me that he RAN to meet me.
That would have been great enough right there, but then I brought him out, put the saddle on (we're still using the one that doesn't fit, poor boy, 'cuz the other one's not here yet), and I tried him in the bitted bridle this time. He's been acting a bit hot with the sidepull lately, so I wanted to see what kind of control I'd get from the french-link snaffle.
He responded very well to it! He was still hot, still asking to trot all the time, but he was very easily controlled and he actually seemed happier to have me in slightly better control. I don't know if it's related to the bit or not, but today was the first time we rode all the way around the park on our own. We've started to several times and each time he got spooky and silly and wanted to turn back, so I didn't push him. But this time I let him choose the direction and he strode out freely, ears pricked, head raised, looking around with interest but not at all worried.
Oh, and I got on again with absolutely no help, which was GREAT. I lined him up, he stood still, I slid on and he didn't move. He's really helping with that silly fear of mounting thing I've got going on.
It's been raining a lot and his allergies had him wheezing after a little while, so we didn't ride long. But he was alert and happy the whole time, doing his fun little jogtrot that's so smooth and easy to sit whenever I'd give him some rein, and very responsive to me the whole time.
I'm not doing a lot of heavy riding right now. I'm concentrating on getting us both into better shape before I step up into more intensive work. But it was a very fun ride, and I was glowing when I slid out of the saddle.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home