The outside of a horse, etc., etc.
Two rides, yesterday and today. Mounting is getting easier each time, and Captain has learned that if he plants his feet and doesn't move, he'll get a treat as soon as my feet are in the stirrups. I haven't needed anyone to hold him for weeks!
We did some trot work today - I'm practicing finding the right diagonal. I can tell whether I've got it or not, but I'm still having trouble starting off properly. I often have to sit a beat and try again. Thankfully, Captain is easy to keep moving. We even did some cantering, but he started wheezing a bit so I backed off. His allergies were actually better today than they have been, but I don't want to push him too hard.
Afterward, Erich took the twins home and put them to bed while I grazed Captain awhile as a treat for being such a good boy. He's so willing to come to me, not even begrudgingly but with ears up and clearly happy to see me, that I want to make sure he always associates me not just with riding but also with nice things happening.
I hung my bridle on the fence as I untacked him, and Casper the Horrible CHEWED ON IT. He nearly cut it in half, my lovely expensive biothane reins. I really hate that horse sometimes. ~sigh~
On another subject, Sophie was playing with Simon as he purred ecstatically, and commented, "He has such cute pawfoots!"
She asked me to draw a picture of her beloved Miss Kitty, so I did. She insisted on taking the picture to church to show to Miss Barbara, her Wednesday night teacher, and she carries it everywhere with her. :o) (I love Deet lurking in the background here.)
We did some trot work today - I'm practicing finding the right diagonal. I can tell whether I've got it or not, but I'm still having trouble starting off properly. I often have to sit a beat and try again. Thankfully, Captain is easy to keep moving. We even did some cantering, but he started wheezing a bit so I backed off. His allergies were actually better today than they have been, but I don't want to push him too hard.
Afterward, Erich took the twins home and put them to bed while I grazed Captain awhile as a treat for being such a good boy. He's so willing to come to me, not even begrudgingly but with ears up and clearly happy to see me, that I want to make sure he always associates me not just with riding but also with nice things happening.
I hung my bridle on the fence as I untacked him, and Casper the Horrible CHEWED ON IT. He nearly cut it in half, my lovely expensive biothane reins. I really hate that horse sometimes. ~sigh~
On another subject, Sophie was playing with Simon as he purred ecstatically, and commented, "He has such cute pawfoots!"
She asked me to draw a picture of her beloved Miss Kitty, so I did. She insisted on taking the picture to church to show to Miss Barbara, her Wednesday night teacher, and she carries it everywhere with her. :o) (I love Deet lurking in the background here.)

2 Comments:
At 12:45 PM,
Teresa/ride4fun said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
At 1:46 PM,
Teresa/ride4fun said…
Sigh, I thought I could edit my comment by copying it and deleting and starting over. But it blocked me for a bit and now I've lost my copy.
The twins are so cute. It is hard to get our weaker diagonal posting. I have to force myself to do a sitting trot for a few strides and pick out the rising shoulder before I start posting --or realize I'm on my dominant diagonal vs what I wanted and switch as you are doing.
Post a Comment
<< Home