Ride 3/26/10
There have been a few rides since my last post that I've forgotten to chronicle. They weren't terribly memorable, though.
Our mounting routine is down cold. Set him up, he plants his feet and doesn't move until mine are in the stirrups and I give him his treat. THEN he walks off. But he doesn't dance around, and he's managed to neutralize 99.9% of my mounting fears.
The last two times I've ridden, he hasn't wanted to trot. Oh, he'll speed up just fine. But he wants to canter, thank you very much. So I'm getting lovely canter departs (from a walk to a canter with no trotting in between) but I don't want him to canter too much because of his allergies (and because we're both so out of shape).
But every time I asked for a trot, he would hump his back, swish his tail and pin his ears. Even more oddly, he only did that when I started posting the trot. If I sat it, he would grudgingly trot a circle for me. But as soon as I started posting, he started popping an attitude.
I'm not sure if the saddle was positioned awkwardly or if something was bothering him physically, but he's never done that before. I checked him over thoroughly and sprayed him with liniment (which he loves) and he was fine when I left. Just something to keep an eye on, I guess.
Have a sewing lesson with Marlene from church tomorrow, so I should go to bed now. Captain gets his teeth floated on Friday - I'm hoping to try the bridle on him then and see if he goes differently in a bit.
(The whole family came out and the girls climbed the huge tree at the back of the property. Erich did too, and then Sophie decided SHE could too and shinnied right up. Of course, then she had a hard time getting down, but it was still pretty impressive!)
Our mounting routine is down cold. Set him up, he plants his feet and doesn't move until mine are in the stirrups and I give him his treat. THEN he walks off. But he doesn't dance around, and he's managed to neutralize 99.9% of my mounting fears.
The last two times I've ridden, he hasn't wanted to trot. Oh, he'll speed up just fine. But he wants to canter, thank you very much. So I'm getting lovely canter departs (from a walk to a canter with no trotting in between) but I don't want him to canter too much because of his allergies (and because we're both so out of shape).
But every time I asked for a trot, he would hump his back, swish his tail and pin his ears. Even more oddly, he only did that when I started posting the trot. If I sat it, he would grudgingly trot a circle for me. But as soon as I started posting, he started popping an attitude.
I'm not sure if the saddle was positioned awkwardly or if something was bothering him physically, but he's never done that before. I checked him over thoroughly and sprayed him with liniment (which he loves) and he was fine when I left. Just something to keep an eye on, I guess.
Have a sewing lesson with Marlene from church tomorrow, so I should go to bed now. Captain gets his teeth floated on Friday - I'm hoping to try the bridle on him then and see if he goes differently in a bit.
(The whole family came out and the girls climbed the huge tree at the back of the property. Erich did too, and then Sophie decided SHE could too and shinnied right up. Of course, then she had a hard time getting down, but it was still pretty impressive!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home